Raleigh incident

It should have been just a routine trip to the head office at Raleigh for me and my boss. We flew from Memphis and we had rented a car at the airport. So here I am, sitting at the Enterprise car rental office, with my boss talking to the people at the counter.
Since I was sitting a wee bit far from the counter, I really could not hear their conversation. Suddenly I saw my boss pointing at me with the guy at the counter staring at me. I wave in a friendly manner but the guy's graze suddenly turns into a cold stare. He quickly shows us the car and walks out. My manager had this naughty look on his face.
Later on, we are eating dinner with the company VP and I had to ask what all the fracas was at the car rental. The manager confesses that while renting the car, the guy asked him if there were any additional drivers. So my boss points at me. He said that we would have to pay an additional 5$ per day for having me as an additional driver. My boss frowns. The guy goes on to explain that other than a spouse or a domestic partner everyone else has to pay. My boss suddenly says "Oh that guy over there
IS my domestic partner". He says this with a straight face. The guy at the counter is shocked and he disposes us as fast as he can. Now ...here I am..sitting with the company VP and others.... everyone laughing their heads off at this incident.... I am helpless.... I mean... what can u say to your own boss...after such an incident. Anyway the company CFO asks...I hope that was a lie.... and I wudnt have done it for 5$. So my boss replies...well its 5$ per day...so we saved....20$.
The CFO says..."oh is that so.... then its fine and infact you can even share a room so that they company saves 300$." I decided to ignore that suggestion and murmured a few malayalam expletives to myself.
Man....... How can I ever show my face in RDU again!!! sheesh!!!!

So later on, we go back on Monday morning to return the car. There is a new girl at the counter and my boss has this familiar expression on his face. He analyzes her and then asks "You have a Rhode Island accent. Are you from there."
She replies " Yes!! how did you find out"
"Well you have a strong Providence accent"
"Wow, I used to live in Providence. I moved to Raleigh just a few years back."
Then she starts writing something and my boss looks and says "looking at your handwriting, I am guessing that you used to work as a waitress or something, at a decently sized restaurant"
This comment drives the girl crazy. I too, stand amazed and awed at his judgment skills. She replies " My god, please don't say anything else. I used to be a waitress for almost 7 years. I do not want you to say another word" She pleaded. My boss with a victorious smile finishes the paperwork and leaves. I was so dumbstruck that I was almost ready to ask him whether he would teach me how he guessed all this. Once outside he starts laughing. I ask him why. He responds " I used to be in Rhode Island for almost13 years and this girl used to be a waitress at the local restaurant where I used to frequent. I guess she must have forgotten me as it has been almost 5 years since she saw me last. Man, I am sure she must be thinking I am clairvoyant or something".
The poor girl must still be wondering whether she has such a revealing face as to have a stranger come and guess almost everything just from hearing her speak and seeing her write. I honestly sympathize with her though I enjoyed a good laugh at her expense.

Comments

Popular Posts