Dad and his friends

My dad comes up with all these stories about him and his friends. Not to be left behind they too divulge interesting tidbits about him whenever I confront them with his stories about them. An interesting story that he said is about his friend Roy uncle. When Roy uncle was doing his MD in Vellore medical college he had a crush on this Anglo Indian female. He was trying real hard to impress her and finally it bore fruit. She agreed to go with him to a movie on Friday night. The theater was not exactly the state of the art one would expect. It was just a 'Oola pura' or in other words an old shed with a thatched roof.
So uncle goes beaming with pride and starry eyes along with his date to watch whatever the theater was showing. They settle down to one of the rows in the end and start watching the movie. Gradually uncle tries to hit on her and she promptly resists. But after the interval, uncle could feel something cold touch his legs. Uncle's joy knew no bounds. Finally against the girl had reciprocated his feelings. She was feeling chilly and had brushed her cold legs him for warmth. His chivalry jumped into action and he pressed his feet over her cold feet and gave it a loving squeeze. He then heard a muffled "boow" and then a "grrr" and then it was his turn to make a "owwww". The cold thing that touched his leg was actually the nose of a dog. It being an old theater, it was not uncommon for a dog to be inside and lying under a seat. Disturbed from its peaceful sleep was bad enough, but the final straw was being stepped on its nose and that is when dog bit uncle. The date ended with a trip to the emergency room and many painful rabies shots. Not a good memory at least to uncle, but my dad surely enjoyed this misery and used to tell me such stories even when I was very young. Finally after almost 23 years of hearing Roy uncle stories, I met him when I went to visit him in Texas. Surely one of the first things that I asked him, was about the dog bite story. His sheepish grin, I guess answered many of my questions.
My dad and uncle were classmates at TVM medical college. Roy uncle remembered the time when he was standing at the Med college bus stop. Dad comes on a borrowed bike barely balancing himself and offers a lift to uncle. He politely refuses, but my dad insists. He finally gives in and they start. Within minutes the fiat car in front abruptly stops and sends my dad and uncle flying. Onlookers likened this flight to Hanuman's voyage with Maruthwamala. To make a long story short, both of them ended up in the med college hospital ward. Dad had a crush on one of his classmates, and she used to come daily to visit both my dad and uncle. Uncle tells me that my dad would set the alarm at 6.00, take a shower, put powder, dress himself and then would pretend to go back to sleep. His object of affection would then come at around 7.00 and dad would pull off his covers and then would pretend to talk in a sleepy voice and would say... "oh you reached.. i can barely walk". I guess, I now know, where I inherited all these tricks of the trade. The chip does not fall far from the old block.
Dad had a professor called Mathew sir. Mathew sir's dad, would introduce his family to a stranger like this, "My elder two sons are really bright. They are carrying on the family business. The last one is really dumb. So I've sent him to medical school." Being the typical Pala achayan he was, his dad could not come to terms with one of his kin not being a businessman.

Comments

Unknown said…
Lol..! Good one...Btw I'm coming over to ur place this week only if we are joined by Roy uncle...haha :D
kartoos said…
You have a very interesting blog. I hope youd post more often.
Anand said…
Thank you Kartoos
Nice to know someone other than my dad reads this!

Popular Posts