Riding in cars with boys

In Auburn. AL....there is a rule that a person cannot take a license test on a rented car. From the miniscule list of desis that goto Auburn, even fewer own cars ....and I was one of the unfortunate few. So invariably it was me who had to take ppl to license tests or if someone needs to catch a flight in Atlanta......I was the designated driver. There were weeks where I wud make the 2 hour drive to Atlanta 2-3 times a week. Walmart trips were on a daily basis. Infact my roomie Jimit even suggested changing the color of my car from Gold to Yellow coz anyways ppl were using it as a Taxi.
My track record with License tests were pretty bad. I have taken 11 people for tests and unfortunately none of them passed. Infact my roomie Irsale even failed the written test. So everyone came up with a solution. Why not rent a car ..give it to me ...and then they wud take my car and goto the test....and as luck wud have it...everyone started passing..even my roomie Ram who had failed 5 times and held the record for max no of fails. But this record was shortlived as another close friend Umesh came up with 6 failed attempts and all the 6 times I took him.
Ram once went to a test.... an unsuspecting afro american lady was the test officer. After coming out finishing the test.....she summed up her reason in one sentense..."Son...I have a son abt ur age...if I give u a license today....i am sure ...i will never ever see u again in life....."
Umesh on the other hand was more sporty...... I taught him how to impress the lady by adjusting the mirror and all that crap....
Umesh went for the test, got inside the car, adjusted the mirrors, reversed from the parking lot onto the road, braked the car, adjusted the mirrors again, this time all the 3 mirrors...looked at me ...obviously happy with himself that he had did everything right, then ...WHAM !! pressed the accelerator, Instead of going straight...the car went reverse in full speed.....after backing out, Umesh had forgotten to change gears, and he barely missed colliding with another car in the parking lot...thus he became the first person in history to fail a test without coming out of the parking lot. But this doesnt end here....next time he went in....got into the car.....tried starting the car..but it wont start.... i was seeing brakelights coming on..but Umesh wasnt starting the car.... 5 mins.....and he failed again....reason? my car is an automatic.. umesh had put the car in reverse gear while switching it off and tried starting it .... U cant start an automatic car unless its in Park mode...thus Umesh changed history one more time...by failing a test without even starting a car.

The fifth time ....Umesh managed to get the car going...i was waiting patiently for them to come back...i saw the lady jump out of the car and looking around. Sensing danger.... i managed to hide behind the door..but that was shortlived as she caught me rite there... she was shouting at me ...for trying to bring this guy to the test again..she claims I was trying to kill her using Umesh. Umesh took a free left on a green even when cars were coming in the opp direction.... I asked umesh what happened.... then came out the truth....it seems some auto rickshaw driver in Trivandrum had taught him how to drive ,no wonder !!!
I think it was after this incident that they put this photo in the Montomery road dept office... well i dont blame them though.... everyone fears for their life !!
Thus I became the offical jinx of Auburn and noone would to go for a driving test with me. : (
Anyways end result...desis were banned from tests in Auburn and now have to drive 60 miles to the state capital ..to take driving tests. Poor souls in other places of Alabama have no clue what initiated this sudden change of rules.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Anand,

Nice blog, We have one too!!!Was laughing at the picture saying "Deny license to people coming with this guy..haha

Manu
Anonymous said…
thts funny too....keep up the good work..

Popular Posts